The Checkpoint ALR 5 is the best value gravel bike in the line-up. It’s a high-quality build that will that hold up for long, rugged miles on the road, dirt and even the most treacherous gravel tracks. But what sets this model apart is the performance parts and the wealth of features like adjustable Stranglehold dropouts, massive tyre clearance and extra mounts that make it easy to customise for your kind of adventure.
It’s right for you if…
Unlike the pure roadie who measures watts and weighs out meals, you favour epic all-road adventures that probably end with a beer and a burrito. But that doesn’t mean you’ll compromise on performance. You expect to get a lot for your hard-earned dosh, including quality, versatility, durability and a ridiculous amount of fun.
The tech you get
- A 300 Series Alpha Aluminium frame with massive tyre clearance
- Adjustable Stranglehold dropouts that make it easy to fine-tune your geometry or run singlespeed,
- A carbon fork,
- 12 mm thru axles,
- An 11-speed Shimano 105 drivetrain,
- A wide-range 11-34 cassette that’s great for climbing,
- Mudguard and rack mounts,
- Flat mount hydraulic disc brakes for all-weather stopping power and
- 700×35 Schwalbe G-One tyres for added stability and traction.
Why you’ll love it
- With the Checkpoint ALR 5, you’re getting high-quality parts at exceptional value, which means that you’ll have extra dough for adventure travel… and burritos
- This bike is exceedingly versatile and suited to a wide variety of riding styles, including gravel rides, bikepacking and daily commutes
- Mounts on the seat tube and both sides of the downtube make it easy to carry extra gear and water
The final word
If the amount of adventure you can get per pound spent is a priority for you, you won’t do better than Checkpoint ALR 5. Quality parts, a durable alloy frame that keeps the price in check and a wealth of features like extra tyre clearance and customisation options so you can confidently take on bigger, better adventures.